Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Great Escape

I am now a mere 4 days from leaving this town for the ever, and about a week from getting out of China altogether (for a while anyway). Unfortunately, my residency permit expires in 4 days too, so I'm going to spend a few days experiencing the heady thrill of being an illegal overstayer (high-five Leon) and then pay about 1500 RMB (round $250) as a fine when I leave. At this stage this seems to be kind of unavoidable, as the dour police lady wasn't convinced I was worthy of a visa extension, and 1500 RMB is probably less than I'd pay to have one, ahem, arranged.


So the plan for now (well, more of a 'notion' than a plan really) is to do the following (dates in the dd/mm format, as is what we use in New Zealand and thereabouts):


30th June: Farewell Liaoyang, drive to Shenyang, catch flight to Beijing
1st July: Catch train to Hong Kong
2/7: Arrive in Hong Kong, find cheap accomodation, apply for Chinese Tourist Visa
3-4/7: Faff about in Hong Kong, (hopefully) receive Chinese Visa, apply for Vietnamese Visa.
5-7/7: Get Vietnamese Visa. Hop on train to Nanning, China.
8/7: Train from Nanning to Hanoi Vietnam

Rest of July: Travel around Vietnam, look at stuff, sweat a lot, lie on a beach or two. Cross in Cambodia, check out things thereabouts, cross into Thailand

1/8: Fly from Bangkok to Beijing
2-4/8: Spend whatever money I have left in Beijing (alternatively: Survive on 2 yuan bowls of noodles for three days)
5/8: Fly from Beijing to Melbourne, Australia
6/8 - ???: The madness begins afresh.

All of this is being done solo, relying on my minimal Chinese, mediocre wits, and my 'meh I guess he's okay if I'd had a few to drink' looks.

Potential Problems with this scheme:

  • The good folks of the Chinese Communist Party, in an act of extraordinary foresight, chose to arrange the re-unification of Hong Kong and mainland China exactly 10 years ago, this July 1st. Thus ensuring that finding a train or accommodation will be a complete pain in the ass.
  • My finances, whilst probably adequate, are finite, and Hong Kong is expensive.
  • I am for some reason, denied a Tourist visa to re-enter China. This is extremely unlikely, but its also China. Nothing is a given.
  • Its approaching the stinkiest hottest part of the year in IndoChina. I might actually sweat to death.
  • Malaria.
  • Monkey attack.
  • Landmines (in Cambodia)
  • One, or a combination of the above factors meaning I don't get to Bangkok in time to catch my flight to Beijing.
Should be fun.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

cool plan dude! wana hang in poo cock island southernist nam. looks very pleasant. congratulations on the only blog ill ever ready. Bravo, encore, of course therell be a victory lap...

Unknown said...

I read somewhere that Tonic contains quinine and was the anti-malarial of choice of the British colonialists ... with the requisite quantity of Gin of course

A quick search on Google reveals a mere 67 litres of G&T a day should provide effective protection from the mosquito-borne pestilence

Just channel a Hammond-esque fingers marathon before dinner every night and you should be fine

Ben said...

Excellent advice as always Nikhil. Now all I need to do is find a bulk supplier of lemons...

Anonymous said...

You could do with a few days illegalness in ya...everyone can.